Search Engine Marketing involves increasing the visibility /rank of a website in the search result, it can be organic(free) or inorganic(paid). The organic way of increasing the rank of webpage is SEO(Search engine optimization). SEM is paid way to increase the web page rank. Any company can use either of the method or both the methods to increase webpage visibility.
Ex: As we searched zip line on the google search engine, we get many results, Generally the top 3 results and results at the right side corner are paid/ inorganic results and
There are many search engine Google, Yahoo, Bing, Ask, AOL, in this google is most widely used search engine.
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of making the website more relevant for search engine, so that the webpage gets good ranking, on a particular keyword or a set up keywords E.g. If I own a doctor clinic in Hyderabad area, my website be optimized in a way that, if any one in Hyderabad search for a doctor clinic, my clinic website gets top ranking in organic search result.
SEO is a free way to show your website on a search query, higher page rank on search results leads to more clicks on the website and click leads to more traffic to a website.
The key factors that affect the page ranking on a search are:
- Off Page optimization
- On Page optimization
On Page Optimization: Changing the code (i.e. HTML) of the webpage, so that the search engine recognizes the web page and rank higher compared to the competitor is called on page optimization.
Keywords are words or phrases, which the prospect customer uses to search your service or product on search engine. In order to have your website displayed by the search engines for a specific search, the search engines should know that your website is relevant for the search. To make your website relevant for a certain keyword you need to choose them carefully and to use them wisely in your website content and metatags.
Metatags: Metatags are text that gives a concise summary about webpage to the search engine. It is read by the search engine, but it is not displayed on the webpage. Most metatags are included within the ‘header’ html code of a website. They are title, description, keywords and robot tags.
- Meta Keywords Attribute – A series of keywords you think is relevant to your website or the words or phrases your customer can use to search your website.
- Title Tag – This is the text you’ll see at the top of your browser. Search engines view this text as the “title” of your page.
- Meta Description – A brief description of the page.
- Meta Robots Attribute – An indication to search engine crawlers (robots or “bots”) as to what they should do with the page.
Ex: A person looking for a general doctor in Hyderabad can use: Doctor in Hyderabad, doctor, general physician, physician etc.
Example for met tag: If we have a website for doctor clinic, the Meta tags will be something similar to this.
Off Page Optimization: Submission to search engine, the search engines have a way to find new websites, however, to get listed on free search results faster, you can submit the website to the most popular search engines and thus invite them to index your site in their results.
Submit a website to major search engine:
Submit to google: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/submit-url?continue=/addurl
Submit to Bing: http://www.bing.com/toolbox/submit-site-url
Submit to Yahoo: https://search.yahoo.com/info/submit.html
A sitemap is a file where you can list the web pages of your site to tell the search engines about your site content. It helps the web crawlers to discover all the pages of the website. So it is a useful tool that can help improve crawling of your website and improve website rank. It is very useful if your site meets one of the following criteria:
- Website has large number of pages.As a result, it’s more likely that crawlers overlook some of your new or recently updated pages.
- Website pages are not well linked to each other.If your site pages do not naturally reference each other, a sitemap can ensure that search engine does not overlook any pages.
- Web site is new and has few external links to it.
- Website uses rich media content
There are many online free sitemap generator service providers that generate sitemap from free resources and upload it into the domain root folder of your site.
1.1.2 Robot.txt :
The robots.txt file defines how a search engine spider like Googlebot should interact with the pages and files of your website. It is kept in the root directory of the site. If there are files and directories you do not want indexed by search engines, you can use a robots.txt file to define where the robots should not go. The robots.txt is a very simple text file placed on your web server
1.2 What do they do exactly?
The first thing a search engine spider looks, when it is visiting a page is the robots.txt file.
It does this because it wants to know if it has permission to access that page or file. If the robots.txt file says it can enter, the search engine spider then continues on to the page files.
If you want not to be crawled by the search engine, just add those files or directories in robots.txt file
Reasons you may want to have a robots.txt file:
- You have content you want to block from search engines like a test directory or private page.
- You are using paid links or advertisements that need special instructions for robots
- You want to fine tune access to your site from reputable robots
- You are developing a site that is live, but you do not want search engines to index it yet
Ex: The user does want spider to index plugins and wp-admin
1.2.1 Back-links or Links to Website:
Popularity of the content or webpage plays a vital role in deciding the ranking of the webpage by search engine. The more popular your content or webpage is; more are the links to your website and more links to your website, higher will be the rank of your website.
What is the link: Links are the content that refers to your website, it can be your internal blogs, reference from any social media, news releases or any external blog that mention about your product/service.
How to get links:
- Internal Blogs: Post quality blogs so that people get interested in reading it and shares your blog
- Social Media: Have regular and quality post on all social media, particularly to google+ as google search gives high importance to google+ posts. Have a regular contest, encourage your prospect customers to participate in the social media event
- Popular Blog: Post your blog to popular blog site
- Post article to popular article site